February 7-14 is a week dedicated to our special little heart warriors. As heart moms, we are always trying to spread awareness, but this week we go into overdrive. All around us, families are dedicating time to getting awareness out about the #1 birth defect! In honor of CHD Awareness Week, we wanted to share with you some of the exciting things happening in the heart community.
There are so many exciting things going on in the heart community this week!
1. Proclamations: States all over the United States are stepping up to recognize February 7th through 14th as Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week. Click here to see the States who have officially signed proclamations honoring CHD week.
2. Pinterest. If you're a Pinterest addict (or even just a lurker), please check out The Faces of CHD, an amazing collaboration among heart parents. It features tons of special heart warriors and their stories. What an incredible way to get our stories out there! Start re-pinning the stories so that we can reach even more people.
3. Pancake Breakfast for CHD Research: If you live anywhere near Irmo, South Carolina, definitely check this one out - Hope for BraveHEARTS Breakfast, an awesome pancake breakfast benefitting Hope for BraveHearts, a wonderful organization who raises money to fund pediatric cardiology research.
4. Blog World Lit Up for CHD Awareness. Many of our fellow heart moms are honoring CHD Awareness Week by doing various different blog themes this week. Here are just a few to check out:
• Interview with a Heart Mom. One of our favorite fellow bloggers, Stefanie, is interviewing a different heart parent each day and sharing their unique stories. To read these awesome stories jump over to Interview with a Heart Mom.
• CHD Awareness Week: HOPE. One of our own SBH moms, Jenny, is profiling stories of hope on her blog this week. Her first entry today is an interview with an ADULT HLHS survivor! Jump over to Aly Jean's Special Heart to check out her stories of hope.
• CHD Week: Stories. Another of our own SBH moms, Kathy, is showcasing stories of sweet little heart warriors all week. Check out her blog here at Jacob's Special Heart - her first entry profiles her son Jacob's tough journey to being the amazing little heart warrior that he is.
5. City of Hearts
To raise awareness for CHD Awareness Week, Amber Woods and some volunteers made clay hearts and butterflies. On each heart is a different child and their CHD and each butterfly is a Heart Angel. They walked and drove to various businesses and high walking traffic areas and placed them. They call it "City of Hearts" and hope to have it all over for CHD Awareness Week 2013! They also took group pictures and individual pictures so the families could see where exactly their heart was placed!
To honor CHD awareness week. Sisters by Heart is going to be sharing some of our favorite blogposts from the heart community that have really captured the essence of what it is to be a heart parent. Stay tuned!
How are YOU spreading CHD awareness this week? Please leave us a comment and let us know!